Small Group Must Haves

Hey there everybody! It's Megan from I Teach. What's Your Super Power?  I'm teaching small groups this year, so I thought I'd share some of my favorite small group reading resources (besides lots and lots of books) for my 1st-4th grade groups.
I'm in love with these fluency sets from Stephanie at Falling into First.  We read them and we read them and we read them.  And then one day, they practice by themselves a few times.  Then they read it to me, and I give them a sticker, and the universe is a wonderful place because they got a sticker.  I love first graders.
I also love these sets from Miss DeCarbo.  I'm using this with my first graders now.  I'll use this second resource with them later in the year.

For my second graders, I love this Fry phrases from Shauna's Shop.  You can see some of them in the 1st grade picture laying on the tray.  We practice them as a warm up, but if someone finishes quickly or I'm listening to a student read, they're a perfect grab and practice.  We don't waste a minute around here.
I also love these Text Detectives from Luckey Frog's LilyPad.  She's got a bunch in her store, and I'll be using these all year.

Does your state use paired passages on your reading tests?  Ours does, and they throw the kids off big time.  I bought this book (and the 4th grade one, too) to use with my groups.  I like that the passages are shorter, so we can spend more time thinking about our thinking when answering the questions.

My fourth graders loooove Jen Jones.  They just don't know it.  I bought her Hello 411 sets.  These short articles are great.  We can read and do some comprehension work in one session.  These articles make a perfect fluency reread when we meet again the next time.
You can use the comprehension resources in her Reading to Learn set with any text.  I love these sets from Lakeshore, too, and I can't wait to use her resources with them.

Behind my table are the supplies I use with all my groups.  The whisper phones are a MUST.  I don't care what grade you're teaching, these are awesome.  I was lucky enough to grab these from Lakeshore when they were on sale for $1.99.  I have a stack of dry erase boards and a bucket of dry erase markers and erasers ready to go.  There's also a basket with little tubs of crayons.  I've also got highlighters, glue sticks, scissors, and stetro grips ready to grab as needed.
What are your favorite resources to use with small groups?  I've got a lot of ground to cover this year with my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders.  I'll take any tips I can get!

No comments

Back to Top