FREE Inside Recess activities and tips

Happy Fall from Teach123!
Sometimes the new season, means a change in weather and the inevitable inside recess.  If you haven't discussed the procedures for this yet with your class, I would add it to your "to do" list.  Your substitute will appreciate it if you include detailed instructions about what activities and materials your students can do or use for inside recess.
Plan now a variety of activities before your class catches cabin fever. It will make these days a little less hectic. 
My choice of activity was based on my students' behavior, energy level, how many inside recess days in a row we've had, and my energy level.
Games are helpful when my students are in a social mood.  
  • Through the year I have accumulated games from thrift stores and parents.  Since I save them for special times like inside recess, the novelty of the experience holds my students' attention.  It helps if you collect games that vary with difficulty level and how many players are required to play. Suggestions:
    • Operation, Barrel Full of Monkeys, Connect Four, Perfection, Don't Spill the Beans, Ants in the Pants, Don't Break the Ice, Hi Ho Cherrio, Boggle, Chutes and Ladders, Candy Land, Sorry, and Trouble
Integrating science and art is a good activity when my students have very talkative. Click HERE to read the post.
Listen & Draw activities are a quiet activity that also strengthens students' listening skills. These are especially helpful to use when you've had a couple of inside days in a row.  Click HERE to read the post.
Some of the games I played when I was a child are my favorites to use for inside recess. This post shares a few you might want to try.  There is minimal prep involved. 
    Have you tried squiggle stories?  My students have always enjoyed them.  I like to keep special supplies in my closet that I use for inside recess. It's amazing the difference you will see when you bring out a box of 64 count crayons!  Click HERE for a copy of squiggle stories.

    What are your favorite inside recess activities?


    Sources to make my blog post graphics can be found HERE Click HERE to read my blog's disclosure statement.

    No comments

    Back to Top