Cause & Effect & A Freebie

Hi teacher friends, Linda here from Around the Kampfire!
I'm headed into week 7 (almost to the end of the first quarter!)
and I promised myself I would stay ahead of the game this year 
(even if it's only by the skin of my teeth!).  I've been planning 
and pulling read alouds and thought I'd share a little 
cause and effect activity I'll be using soon with Alexander and 
the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

Last year while teaching my kiddos about cause & effect we read 
all about poor Alexander's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day! 


I made a variation of a multi-flow map to show the cause and effect 
relationships in the story. I have several copies of the book so I 
modeled some first then had groups of three locate and write causes and 
effects on sticky notes to add to our chart.

Students then wrote in more detail and illustrated them on this little 
freebie I used from my friend Courtney at Swimming Into Second.

This year, I'm thinking I'll teach this during my small groups and have 
my kiddos use this student version. If you'd like to use it too you can! 


If you follow me at Around the Kampfire you know how much I love 
Tomie dePaola books! So many of his Strega Nona books are 
perfect for teaching about cause and effect!  
Every year we do a Tomie dePaola author study and I like to use 
Big Anthony: His Story to focus on this because Big Anthony is, 
simply put, a walking disaster of cause and effect!


These are Big Anthony brochures we made during last year's study.  
You can see more of  how we worked with characters, story structure, 
and lots of comprehension and writing activities 
in my 4-part series Teaching With Tomie dePaola Books. 
You might also enjoy my Tomie dePaola board on Pinterest!


I hope your year is off to a good start!

4 comments

  1. I love both those books!! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful freebie!
    Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those illustrations on the top right of your Alexander picture are very impressive. Thanks for the freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top