Exciting Books for Opinion Writing!

Looking for exciting ideas for opinion writing?!  

Try this set from Scholastic:
I ordered the set after seeing it in the September book club catalog.  The books are written by the fabulous Jerry Pallotta.  When I saw them, I knew I had to have them!

If you haven't seen of the books, they feature two living things and ask, "Who would win?"  Different facts and details are mentioned throughout the book.  As you read, the kids will start to make a decision as to which thing would win.  The last 2-3 pages discuss what would happen when the two things meet and who would actually win.  

I would stop short of the last 2-3 pages and have the students write an opinion piece about who they think would win.  It's the perfect opportunity for the kids to express their opinion and give reasons to back it up.  After the kids are done with their writing, I would share the conclusion to the book.

Try it out and let us know how it goes!



No comments

Back to Top